So you know what happened this weekend? The Winter Solstice (well in the Southern Hemisphere anyway), which now means that the days are going to get longer and lighter, yay! This is a great reason to celebrate and what better way to celebrate lighter mornings than with a breakfast recipe.
Avocado on toast has always been a delicious breakfast treat and it is definitely doing its rounds on cafe menus around Melbourne. I normally love avocado and tomato on toast, but decided as a weekend treat to team it with smoked salmon and a poached egg.
The smoked salmon and egg add a richness to the avocado that makes it a great Sunday lunch option. Don’t worry if you haven’t poached an egg before, it is easily done and you only need to take care when removing the egg from the water. If you aren’t comfortable poaching an egg, a soft boiled egg would also work well.
Did you do anything to celebrate Winter Solstice? What is your favourite ingredient to combine with avocado?
Avocado Smash, Salmon & Poached Egg on Toast
An original recipe from Eating with Katie
2 slices bread, toasted
wedge of lemon
2 slices of smoked salmon
2 eggs, room temperature
2 teaspoons white vinegar
1 teaspoon salt
salt and pepper, to season
1. Fill a medium saucepan with water until about half full. Add vinegar and salt and bring to the boil.
2. While waiting for water to boil smash avocado. Remove flesh from avocado and place into a bowl along with a squeeze of lemon and some salt and pepper. Smash with a fork to desired texture. Add in feta and mix well.
3. Spoon avocado mixture onto the toasted bread and lay slices of smoked salmon on top.
4. When water has come to a boil, reduce heat and bring water to a simmer. Place one egg onto a saucer. With a spoon stir the water to produce a whirlpool and gently slide in egg from saucer. Cook for 2-3 minutes for a semi-soft yolk. Gently remove egg with a slotted spoon and place carefully on to top of salmon. Repeat the process with the second egg.
5. To serve, sprinkle with paprika or freshly ground pepper.