While we all love a hearty comfort meal, more often than not they can be quite dense and heavy leaving you feeling uncomfortably full. This one pan baked vegetable pasta delivers on the comfort, but because of the vegetables feels light and healthy.
It’s also made using just one pan which means that there is minimal clean up – always a win in our house! This meal is similar to a vegetarian lasagne, with its saucy cheesy goodness but without the prep work that goes into assembling lasagne which you many not feel like doing during the week. It also tastes delicious heated up the next day and can easily be taken to work and reheated. Win!
If you are not partial to some of the vegetables in my one baked vegetable pasta, feel free to substitute them for something more to you taste. Diced pumpkin, eggplant, cauliflower and cheery tomato, to name a few are all vegetables that could be used and would work well with this dish. If you wanted to make this meal non-vegetarian you could add chorizo after the onions and garlic have softened.
If you enjoyed this one pan baked vegetable pasta, check out my recipe for slow cooker lamb shank soup, a time saving recipe that will deliver on comfort food without the work.
One Pan Baked Vegetable Pasta
Adapted from Tastes Better From Scratch
1 tablespoon, oil
1 zucchini, roughly chopped
1 capsicum, roughly sliced
1 head of brocolli, cut into florets
2 carrots, roughly chopped
1 red onion, roughly chopped
1 clove of garlic, crushed
1 cup of mushrooms, sliced
1 can tomato puree
1 can chopped tomatoes
150g, fresh baby spinach leaves
1/2 teaspoon chilli flakes
1 Tablespoon, dried basil or 2 Tablespoons basil paste
1 Tablespoon, dried oregano
3 cups water
2 cups dry pasta, such as penne, farfalle or spirals z
1/2 cup cooking cream
1/2 cup grated parmesan
salt and pepper to season
1 cup grated cheese
- Preheat oven to 220c.
- Heat oil in a large, oven proof pan over medium heat.
- Add garlic and onion and garlic and cook until soft, being careful not to let garlic burn.
- Add mushrooms, carrots and broccoli and cook for 2 – 3 minutes.
- Add zucchini and capsicum and cook for a minute or two until the vegetables begin to soften. Add chilli flakes, oregano and basil.
- Add tomato puree and diced tomatoes. Stir. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally for 5 – 10 minutes.
- Add water and dry pasta. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, bring to a simmer and cook for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until pasta is tender.
- Stir in cream, grated parmesan and spinach and season to taste. Sprinkle grated cheese on top and pop in oven until the cheese is melted and golden – about 5 minutes.
Used this recipe? Share your one pan baked vegetable pasta bake with me on Facebook or Instagram by tagging @eatingwithkatie