Fried chicken is probably one of my favourite foods. Unfortunately it is not the healthiest of foods to have as a favourite and it is sometimes hard to replicate the crispiness that you get from deep frying when baking in the oven.
The humble cornflake has helped me in this and once the crumb is well seasoned you will be adding this to your repertoire. I used Vegeta Chicken Stock to really enhance the chicken flavour and it worked very well. As a regular stock user, Vegeta Stock is a great pantry staple to have on standby and just 1 teaspoon produces a flavourful 500ml of liquid stock which is great for soups, stews and curries.
I also used Vegeta Vegetable Stock to boost the flavour of the sweet potato chips and what we got was delicious crispy sweet potatoes with a lovely herby vegetable taste. Now that I’ve had Jonathan having a product like this to deliver fast, tasty, and healthy dishes is a real bonus.
I served the chicken and sweet potatoes with a green salad but this would work with wilted spinach or a coleslaw.
A range of Vegeta Stock was given to me at no cost, but all opinions expressed are my own.
Vegeta Baked Not Fried Chicken
An original recipe from Eating With Katie
6 chicken drumsticks
3 cups cornflakes
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon dried oregano
2 1/2 teaspoons, smoked paprika
2 1/2 teaspoons Vegeta chicken stock powder
1 tabelespoon olive oil
- Preheat oven to 180C and line an oven tray with baking paper
- Pour cornflakes into a medium size bowl and using your hands crush the flakes until you are happy with the crumb size.
- Add the thyme, oregano, smoked paprika and Vegeta chicken stock powder and mix through the crushed cornflakes.
- In a seperate bowl, beat the eggs.
- Dip the drumsticks in the beaten egg and then roll in the cornflake mix. Place the drumsticks on the baking tray.
- Using a pastry brush, gently brush oil over the drumsticks.
- Bake for 45 minutes.
Sweet Potato Chips with Vegeta
4 sweet potatoes
1 1/2 teaspoons Vegeta Vegetable Stock
1 tablespoon olive oil
- Preheat oven to 180C
- Cut the sweet potato into chips or wedges and parboil until slightly soft. Drain.
- Add the olive oil to a baking tray and place in the oven for 5 minutes so that the oil gets hot – this will help give the chips a crispy skin.
- Take tray out of oven and quickly add the chips along with the Vegeta Vegetable Stock. Toss
- Bake for 45 minutes.